Saturday, May 7, 2011

Taylor Swift Premieres New 'Mean' Video

Taylor Swift is back in America and gearing up for the sold-out Speak Now US Tour.

You know what that means?

Well, it means a lot of things, but for the purpose of this post it means that she is releasing new singles and premiering new music videos! She shot two videos back in April, and yesterday CMT premiered the first of the two, "Mean."


I love so many of the songs off Speak Now because they explore new sounds and genres; it is so nice to have an album of 12-13 songs that don't sound identical. "Mean" features Taylor Swift on banjo, and demonstrates Taylor's (and her bands) ability to tackle bluegrass. Always relevant and relate-able, this new tune, aptly titled, is a song about people who have bullied or mistreated the singer. With the opening line "You, with your words like knives and swords and weapons that you use against me. You, have knocked me off my feet again and got me feeling like a nothing," Taylor goes on to say that regardless of how mean you are to me:

"Someday I'll be living in a big 'ol city and all you're ever gonna be is mean. Someday I'll be big enough so you can't hit me and all you're ever gonna be is mean. Why you gotta be so mean?"

I love it. I sing it aloud in my car to the guys who have burned me and the friends who have abandoned me. It gives me a feeling of sweet satisfaction. Also, it seriously encourages me to do something great so they'll regret ever hurting me.

They'll rue the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment