Sunday, May 1, 2011

Teen Dream Revisited - Jaleel White

Its a rare condition in this day and age
To read any good news on the newspaper page
Love and tradition of the grand design,
Some people say its even harder to find.
Well then there must be some magic clue
Inside these gentle walls
Cause all I see is a tower of dreams
Real love burstin out of every seam.
Family Matters, Full House, Step by Step, and Boy Meets World are the four TGIF shows that defined my Friday nights as a child. While I was falling for bad boy Shawn Hunter on BMW, I was also falling for the suave, sexy (ok, at 10 I was probably not thinking sexy) Stefan Urquelle. The idea that Steve Urkel and Stefan Urquelle were played by the same person was beyond mind blowing to my pre-teen brain. Stefan was so confident, good looking, and smooth with the ladies, no way was he the same guy as Urkel!
In retrospect, the show probably had a pretty bad message when you consider that Steve Urkel had to create a machine to tranform his DNA in order to turn himself into a cool guy before Laura would even consider giving him the time of day. And then that whole, Steve dating Myra thing while Laura was falling for Stefan is a little weird; regardless, I love this show.

What has Jaleel White been up to since he left Steve and Stefan for good? Like the other level-headed 90s teen television stars, he attended and graduated college. He graduated from UCLA Film School in 2001. Seriously, these kids from the 90s are awesome, no wonder we all turned out so normal. It pains me to think what the generation raised on 2000s TV will become...

I keep up with Jaleel on Twitter (because we are tots bff, duh!) and this is what I know: 1) according to his bio, he once got busy in a Burger King bathroom. 2) he approves of Tia Mowry, husband (some actor I've never heard of), and the soon to come addition 3) he has a daughter 4) he recently did some community service (picture below)
And, my own Psych addiction tells me that he was in an episode in 2009, along with fellow 90s guy, Keenan Thompson.

Next up for him, Judy Moody and the Not Bummer Summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment