Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Thrilling Adventure Hour Is The Best Hour-plus Of Radio You Will Ever See/Hear

Remember that time I met Nathan Fillion and other celebs at The Largo in Beverly Hills?


You may not recall, as it occurred on the epic first weekend of November that involved All That reunions and my first Thrilling Adventure Hour, but I would like to take this moment to ask that you march your butt over to Nerdist.com to listen to some of The Thrilling Adventure Hour podcasts. If you don't enjoy them, then you are probably a robot with no funny bone in your body.

Chances are, as you continue to read this post, you are not listening to The Thrilling Adventure Hour despite my practically begging you above. This might be because you are at work and unable to listen, if that is the case, I forgive you; however, you have no excuse to not email yourself right now a reminder with the link right now so that when you return home you can listen while you work out, cook, clean, or, if you are me, laze around doing nothing because you are too tired and/or lazy to do anything by the time you make it home.

A little bit about the show (taken directly from the shows website): "A sophisticated comedy sprinkled with affectionate homage to 1940’s era radio, the Thrilling Adventure… program features three non-serialized serials in each episode, as well as jingles and messages from sponsors such as Patriot Brand Cigarettes (“Good for your Constitution”)."

My favorite segment is Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars, starring Marc Evan Jackson. There are at least four reasons why I love this segment:

1) The voice acting is fabulously done. Honestly, this is true for all the segments. Unlike with movies and shows which provide a picture and animation to compliment the dialogue, the verbal execution of lines in a radio show is all you get and the players in The Thrilling Adventure Hour have mastered that talent. Although I strongly encourage you find a way to catch the show live so you can see the performance and meet some of the players, if you don't reside in Southern California then listening to the podcasts on Nerdist or downloading them for free from iTunes is a great alternative.

2) A space/cowboy drama-comedy, how can you possibly go wrong with that? It worked for Firefly, it works for The Thrilling Adventure Hour. (NOTE: Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars is in no way to be compared to Firefly. The similarity basically ends at the space/cowboy theme. Although, Nathan Fillion does make an occasional guest appearance in Sparks Nevada.)

3) Marc Evan Jackson is like my new favorite person.
First of all, he has the triple name thing going. I love it, it is so JTT of him. Secondly, he recently guest-starred on an episode of Psych which is basically my favorite show on cable TV. Thirdly, he seems like a genuinely nice and funny individual. Angel and I met him after the December show and at that moment I basically decided that I loved him. I already loved Sparks Nevada because it is hilarious, but now I love the one who plays Sparks Nevada.

4) This kind of goes along with number 3, I am just reaffirming his niceness. I recently tweeted my love for Sparks Nevada and Marc Evan Jackson as said character, and he totally replied to me.
Now, I realize I have talked to him in real-life and I even have photographic proof of us meeting, but you have to understand that in my mind getting a tweet from an actor/musician/writer/director/other famous person I love is immensely gratifying. Since I get text alerts for tweets sent to me, his tweet came in the form of a text with is basically getting a text from him.

So why do I write about this? Because Saturday is the first Saturday of the month which means...The Thrilling Adventure Hour!!!!! So excited. Stay tuned for all the wonderful details and, more importantly, the awesome pictures.



No comments:

Post a Comment