Monday, September 12, 2011

Netflix Time Wasters, Eureka

A few years ago I found myself unemployed and spending a whole lot of time in front of the TV. This mostly consisted of CSI marathons on Spike, but then one day I happened upon a Eureka marathon on Syfy network and my life has never been the same.

The show is part sci-fi, part drama, part comedy, and ALL wonderful. Per the shows IMDb page, the show is about a northwestern town where: "The best minds in the US are tucked away in a remote town where they build futuristic inventions for the government's benefit." The show can make anything happen, no matter how absurd, because sci-fi shows have the priviledge of being beyond what we think is real. I get really frustrated when regular shows (or movies) try and sell me a story-line that is NEVER gonna happen in real life, but when a sci-fi show feeds me that I eat it all up and enjoy it.

In the show, former US Marshal Jack Carter (played by Colin Ferguson) serves as the sheriff of the small town where seldom a week goes by without something crazy happening. He also is the lone "normal" person in the town. With an I.Q. of just 111, Carter is the dumbest person in the town of geniuses and yet he manages to save the town everytime. I just realized, he is kind of like a superhero. While everyone else uses logic and brains, Carter uses guts to solve a problem. He is constantly putting the towns safety over his own because his duty is to the people first. Very admirable.

Aside: Colin Ferguson who plays Sheriff Jack Carter was in the American re-make of fellow Netflix Time Waster, Coupling.

The show is Syfy's greatest hit (that is total opinion, although the ratings do suggest it is doing pretty well). Currently wrapping up season 4.5 on Syfy, the latest season has boasted an incredible list of guest stars, including: Wil Wheaton, Felicia Day, Stan Lee, Dave Foley, Wallace Shawn (Inconceivable!), and Ming-Na.

Unfortunately, the cost of production now exceeds the profit, and thus the show was recently cancelled. The silver lining to that utterly horrible news is that there are still 13 episodes for season 5 plus a partially animated Christmas episode which have been filmed but not yet aired.

Weeks before the network announced the shows cancellation, I had the dream come true of seeing some of the stars and creator at Comic-Con in Ballroom 20.
Colin Ferguson (Jack Carter), Salli Richardson-Whitfield (Allison Blake), and Neil Grayston (Fargo) at the Eureka panel at SDCC 2011

Salli Richardson-Whitfield (Allison Blake), Neil Grayston (Fargo), Wil Whaton (Isaac Parrish), and Felicia Day (Holly Marten) at the Eureka panel at SDCC 2011


This show basically opened up the door for me and sci-fi, and helped solidify my standing in the world of nerdiness and for that I am grateful. I mean, I loved Space Cases as a kid so I think sci-fi was always gonna be a part of my life, but I denied it for years until this show. Plus, after I started watching it I found out quite a few of my friends watch it which means it is obvi a great show.

For now, I suggest you spend some time watching seasons 1-3 on Netflix, then catch a season 4 marathon so that when season 5 starts up next year you can join me in mourning the cancellation/celebrating the shows life.

No comments:

Post a Comment