Monday, August 29, 2011

Netflix Time Wasters, Coupling

Once upon a time, TV watching was done on the TV. These days TV and movie watching is done instantly on Netflix and the world is a better place as a result. My social life might suck, but that is an opportunity cost I'm willing to take. Besides, I'm meeting all kinds of new people as a result of Netflix, they are just fictional which is one step up from imaginary so I think I'm doing alright.

Let me take this time to introduce you to some of the great people I'm meeting on Netflix. To begin, meet the characters of Coupling (U.K. edition): Steve Taylor, Susan Walker, Jeff Murdock, Sally Harper, Patrick Maitland, and Jane Christie.

Coupling was suggested to me via Netflix, Netflix is so good at recommending shows to me, it is kind of scary. Not only does this show feature British actors equipped with accents, but it also falls in the category of British Comedy which I am discovering to be quite fantastic. It is like a British version of Friends, but with only 4 series (U.K. for seasons) and a total of 28 episodes, it moves quickly and thus feels a little bit more fulfilling (you know how U.S. shows will just drag on and on, the writers making us suffer, U.K. writers are much more kind to their viewers). Steve is a mix of Chandler and Ross, Susan is Monica (kind of the leader of the group), Jeff is an extreme version of Joey only without Joey's skills with the lady (Jeff is so NOT a ladies-man), Sally is a more uptight version of Rachel, Patrick is actually a bit of Joey (total ladies-man), and Jane is all the ditz of Pheobe but with a total ego-complex. Only, those comparisons should not be taken literally because the show is not just a copy of Friends, it definitely holds its own.

The first three series were great, I'm on the fourth series right now and it gets a little weird with a lot dream sequences and the departure of Jeff Murdock, but I'm still laughing loudly and disrupting my mom as she watches actual TV (I suppose it is more difficult for older people to break the habit).

Check it out, and stay tuned for more to watch on Netflix.

No comments:

Post a Comment