Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Teen Dream Revisited: Jonathan Taylor Thomas (JTT)

photo from retrojunk.com

Devon Sawa, Andrew Keegan, and Jaleel White were idols not soon forgotten; however, the three of them combined had NOTHING on Jonathan Taylor Thomas/JTT when I was a pre-teen. I mean, sure I loved them all and I had wild fantasies of me ending up with each of them - separately, not like us living in some polygamous cult where I married each of them...although, the cult doesn't sound so bad - my heart was always more dedicated to JTT. I watched all his movies, including the voice over work he did for The Adventures of Spot, and, among other movies, I still own The Adventures of Pinocchio on VHS. Let's face it, JTT owned the 90's in movie and television.

Sadly for 90's day dreamers like myself, Mr. Thomas all but disappeared after he prematurely left Home Improvement in 1998 to go to college. I want to hate him for leaving, but I also want to love him more for choosing education. Unfortunately, after he walked away from the role of Randy Taylor, Jonathan only received guest-starring roles on shows such as Smallville, 8 Simple Rules, and Veronica Mars, but has not been able to come close to the fame he once had. Since 2005 he has all but disappeared.

In September 2011 EW did a Home Improvement reunion that brought JTT back to his television family.

Then, in early October, 2011, there were squeals of joy when a JTT account was added and later verified on Twitter.


Can you imagine? After years of wondering "what ever happened to JTT?" we would finally get some answers!

Alas, it was too good to be true.

A short time after verification was complete, Danielle Fishel (aka Topanga Matthews) took to Twitter to retract her initial support of the user and to assure her followers that she had just spoken with JTT and he shared that he was not on Twitter. She and Devon Sawa had both shared tweets with the JTT account, but now they were both saying it is not the real Jonathan but some poser! *gasp* How rude!

Twas a sad, sad day for me. On the bright side, Danielle Fishel still happens to be friends with Mr. Young Simba, and so we shall just have to settle for updates from her, such as the following picture posted to her Twitter on October 20, 2011.
Look who went with me to see @worstaudition last night! Me, Jonathan, and the gorgeous Christine Lakin. http://twitpic.com/7350gu



1 comment:

  1. Oh the memories! JTT my first teen love. I just recently watched the episode of Home Improvement with the cancer scare. Also, I just recently found out Devon Sawa guest starred on Nikita for 7 episodes, I need to catch up on the show just so I can watch Mr. Sawa work it!

    ReplyDelete