Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Netflix Time Wasters, The Wonder Years

Oh little Kevin Arnold and Winnie Cooper, how your 12-year-old romance makes me smile.

A few weeks ago, I discovered The Wonders Years had been added to Netflix's Instant Queue. I immediately celebrated.

I forgot how much I love Fred Savage, and how great this show is until I started watching it again on Netflix. The Winnie and Kevin young love is just too adorable at times. Fortunately, romance aside, the show is a great reflection of how I imagine the late 1960s and early 1970s to be. From Kevin's hippie older sister to his stern and unsmiling father, everything about this show is charming and quaint. In fact, I imagine that, had I grown up in the 1960s/1970s, my family would look very much the same.

Here is how I see it: my older and younger sisters would be hippies (despite the general typecasting of me as the hippie in this family) because they are rebellious and quirky, respectively, which fits Karen Arnold; my older and younger brother are stellar in the role of pestering and annoying brother, so they were really made for the role of Wayne Arnold; my dad was raised in the military so he can successfully play stern and he rarely smiles, he is like a modern day Jack Arnold; lastly, as a teacher in California, my mom is currently unemployed so she is getting great practice as the stay-at-home mom/wife, hello Mrs. Arnold! Obviously, I'd be a female version of Kevin because this is my life so only I could have the starring the role. It'd be like if Winnie were Kevin and then Kevin were Winnie.

I forget what my point was with that last bit...To conclude, The Wonders Years is one show definitely worthy of consuming your evenings before bed and your freetime on the weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment